Car accidents can cause physical and emotional trauma. A common auto accident injury is whiplash. This injury occurs when your head is rapidly forced back and forth, similar to a whip cracking. Fortunately, this injury can be treated by the professionals at Advanced Physical Medicine of Yorkville. Our chiropractor has years of experience providing Yorkville residents with natural and effective personal injury and auto accident injury treatment.
Common Causes of Whiplash
Whiplash can occur anytime your head is forced back and forth. The most common causes include:
- Rear-end car accidents
- Contact sports injuries
- Personal injury and trauma such as a fall
Some people experience the symptoms of whiplash immediately after the accident. For others, it can be hours or days after the accident before the symptoms begin. Whiplash symptoms include:
- Neck pain
- Neck stiffness
- Headaches that begin at the base of the skull
- Reduced range of motion in the neck
- Pain in the shoulder, back, or arms
- Numbness and tingling in the arms
Some less common symptoms include:
- Blurry vision
- Memory problems
- Trouble concentrating
- Trouble sleeping
- Ringing in the ears
Whiplash can be diagnosed during a physical exam. When you first visit our office, our chiropractor will evaluate your musculoskeletal system to determine whether or not you have sustained a whiplash injury. Our chiropractor will also have you perform tasks to check your range of motion in your neck and shoulders. Your doctor will press on your neck, shoulders, and upper back to check for areas of tenderness. They will also test the strength and reflexes in your arms. Whiplash cannot be diagnosed using imaging tests. However, our chiropractor may order them to rule out other conditions.
If you want a long-term solution to your pain, schedule an appointment with a chiropractor. A chiropractor can treat whiplash using different techniques, including:
- Spinal manipulation: Our chiropractor will identify the neck joints that are misaligned and restore their natural alignment.
- Muscle stimulation and relaxation: Our chiropractor can use gentle stretching to release the tension in the neck and improve the range of motion in your neck.
- Specific trigger point therapy: Your chiropractor can identify the spinal joints that show abnormal motion and restore motion using gentle thrusting techniques.
Contact Our Chiropractor in Yorkville for Whiplash Treatment
If you have recently been involved in a car accident or experienced any other type of personal injury, the pain relief professionals at Advanced Physical Medicine of Yorkville are ready to assist you. For more information on chiropractic care for whiplash treatment or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor, call us today at (630) 0239-7284.